Tuesday, February 10, 2009

NBA All-Star Game

Alright, so here we go... it's that time of year again.  Right around my birthday every year, I'm treated with the NBA All-Star Game/Weekend.  This is one of the few all-star events that I actually enjoy watching, mostly because I'm just fascinated with watching good basketball players make magic on the court.

However, I do have a few bones to pick with the NBA, as well as the players themselves.

First off, the Slam Dunk competition.  When I think of this, there's one name that comes to mind... Michael Jordan.  Even though he only won right after I was born ('87 and '88), there's just something electric about watching his old dunks on ESPN Classic, especially the epic free-throw-line dunk.  My problem with this event?  Here are some names I should be thinking of: Kobe.  Lebron.  Wade.  Carmelo.  Amaré.  More of these "stars", the high flying, flashy players that make us watch the NBA in the first place.  Who are the participants this year?  Dwight Howard (the returning champ), Nate Robinson, Rudy Gay, and Rudy Fernández.  How many of you outside of Memphis know who Rudy Fernández is?  Just kidding.  I know he really plays for Toronto... or wait, is it Oklahoma City?  No?  Sacramento?  No?  Seriously, he plays for Portland?  I thought the big name in Portland was Greg Oden...

Second, the game itself.  Yes, I love seeing all this offense and whatnot, but these guys are out there not even trying until maybe the 4th quarter.  Take a page from the MLB.  You know why their game is always exciting?  Because it means something.  Winner gets home field advantage in the World Series.  There's some argument that the team with the best record should have the home field advantage, but when teams don't play the *exact* same competition, that's not truly fair... then again, having representatives from your conference and your direct competitors try and win you (or themselves... magic always happens in the playoffs) home field/court advantage isn't necessarily fair either, but it would keep people tuned in and make the entire game more exciting.

Also, Shaq... please start working on your 3-point shot and your ball handling skills now.  The best part of my night is when you bring the ball up the court, give a little hesitation and between-the-legs dribble, and then jack up a 3-pointer... that is, until you clank it off of something within the same zip code as the rim you were shooting at.  For once, just for me... make that shot.

A thought that I've heard over the past couple of years has been America vs. the World.  Exciting, maybe... but that's what we have the Olympics for.  We don't need another gimmick within the game.  League vs. league is what every sport does, and it works for them (well, the Pro Bowl doesn't work for anyone, but that's beside the point).

And H-O-R-S-E?  Yes.  Thank you.  I love it.  But again, the star power... I like that you do have some fairly well known players like OJ Mayo and Kevin Durant playing, but Joe Johnson?  Eh... Again, this is another event that I would love to see some star players get into.

Tell you what, NBA... he's what you do.  Kobe, Lebron, 'Melo, and Wade.  Get them together, and have a contest.  HORSE, 21 (that's right, 21), and the Slam Dunk event.  You get points for your place in each event... 10 for 1st, 7 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd, and 1 for 4th.  The overall winner of these 3 events is your Ultimate All-Star.

Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment